On behalf of UGC, the National Eligibility Test (NET) is conducted for determining the eligibility of Indian nationals for the Eligibility for Assistant Professor only or Junior Research Fellowship & Eligibility for Assistant Professor Both in Indian Universities and Colleges.
UGC-NET is conducted by the NTA in 84 subjects at 91 selected Cities spread across the country.
The award of JRF and Eligibility for Assistant Professor both OR Eligibility for Assistant Professor only depends on the performance of the candidate in both the papers of NET in aggregate. However, the candidates qualifying exclusively for Assistant Professor are not to be considered for award of JRF. Candidates who qualify the Test for eligibility for Assistant Professor are governed by the rules and regulations for recruitment of Assistant Professor of the concerned universities/colleges/state governments, as the case may be.
Mode of Exam
Application forms start
Last week of February
Deadline of Application Forms
Third week of March
Third Sunday of June
- Candidates must have a M.Sc or an equivalent degree / Integrated BS-MS / BS – 4 years / BE / B. Tech / B. Pharma / MBBS.
- For General and OBC-NCL candidates, a minimum of 55% marks and for SC / ST / physically and visually handicapped candidates, a minimum of 50% marks is required in this degree.
- Those enrolled for M.Sc or those who have completed 10+2+3 years of the above qualifying examination are also eligible to apply.
- B.Sc (Hons) or equivalent degree holders or candidates enrolled in the Integrated MS-PhD program can apply as well.
- Such applicants need a minimum 55% marks (for general and OBC-NCL) and 50% marks for SC / ST, physically and visually handicapped candidates.
- Those with a bachelor’s degree must be registered/enrolled for Ph.D./ Integrated Ph.D. program to be eligible for CSIR.
- Ph.D. degree holders, who have passed Master’s degree before September 19, 1991, with minimum 50% marks, are eligible to apply for the only Lectureship.
Age Limit and Relaxation
- For Junior Research Fellowship (NET) –
- Candidates should be a maximum of 28 years of age as on 01-01-2019.
- The upper age limit can be relaxed up to 5 years for SC / ST / Physically or Visually handicapped and female candidates and 3 years for OBC- Non Creamy Layer candidates
- For Lectureship (NET) –
- There is no upper age limit.